Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Dear Working Mother,

I don't know how you do it. I am certain your morning routine alone would kill me.
Via
Take yesterday morning, for example:
  • 6:30: Up and at 'em! A quick shower for mom.
  • 6:45: Quickly put in contacts and apply face lotion. The clock is ticking, after all. Baby bear will be up any minute.
  • 6:50: I check the video monitor and see Elena rousing. I quickly get a bottle ready before she starts wailing.
  • 6:55 - 7:25: Feed the babe, kiss the babe, play with the babe.
  • 7:25: Alfie's whining becomes unbearable, so I put baby-bear on her play mat and take the dog outside (the husband is awake and in the shower by now).
  • 7:35-7:40: Outside with Alf. Waiting... 
  • 7:40-7:50: Feed the dog and make coffee (ahhh, coffee!). I can hear Jonathan and Elena playing upstairs.
  • 7:50-8:00: Alfie finishes eating, so it's back outside for (ah-hem) #2. But rather than taking care of  business, my blind Yorkie decides to chase a car down the street and almost gets hit. Now I'm on the porch (in my PJs, with wet hair) yelling at my dog to get his ass back in the house. (Classy, San Diego.)
  • 8:00-8:10: Put Alfie in his crate, because I don't have time to deal with him. Kiss the husband goodbye, as he leaves for work. Then, it's back upstairs, where Elena is no longer a happy camper on her play mat. I quickly discover that somebody has a stinky diaper. I change and dress her. Then, I put her Bumbo chair on the bathroom counter, where she can look at herself in the mirror while I do my makeup and dry my hair.
  • 8:1o-8:25: Apply makeup and dry hair (in record time) while "chatting" with Little Miss.
  • 8:25-8:35: Elena decides she is no longer interested in her reflection, so I transfer her to the swing while I brush my teeth and get dressed.
  • 8:35-8:40: I make sure the diaper bag is replenished with plenty of diapers, wipes, bottles, burp cloths, bibs, change of clothes and toys.
  • 8:40-8:45: Put the babe in her carseat and leave for her 9:00 a.m. doctor appointment.
If I had to do that every single day, I would lose my mind. And, I would never be on time for work. Ever.

Yes, being a stay-at-home mom is hard work. It's 24/7/365.  But most days, I don't have to be anywhere, so I can do my job in my PJs if I want. And, I cannot imagine the overwhelming stress of balancing a professional career with family life (not to mention chores and other responsibilities).

All this to say:
Here's to you, Working Mother. 

You're kind of like a super hero.

2 comments:

Rachel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rachel said...

I have been thinking about this lately as I get stressed with my busy work schedule. HOW in the heck do they do it? Heck, how did my dad and mom do it? magic.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...