Wednesday, January 6, 2010

New Year, Long List

Six days into the new decade, I am still crafting my “New Year, New Me” to-do list. Actually, Jonathan and I are making a list together, which includes deadlines for both our individual and joint goals. I have to admit, the list is beginning to look like a project plan I would put together for my job rather than dreams scribbled in a paper journal (which is how I once tracked my to-dos and aspirations). Jonathan tells me that this map-things-out method will work. “When you have a deadline, you’re more likely to achieve your objective.” He’s a smart one. Think I’ll keep him.

We have big dreams, people (and thanks to the husband, we have a plan to help make them a reality).

Just like everyone else on the planet, working out regularly, eating healthy and losing weight are top priorities for 2010 (and beyond). And of course, saving money and paying off debt are big long-term goals too.

While the big to-dos are obviously important, it’s really the small objectives for 2010 that make me feel rejuvenated and ready to tackle the new year. I want to be more creative this year and discover a hobby that I love. I want to write more often (for leisure, not work). I want to travel. I want to be more involved in our community. I want to make the most of the year by spending more time and energy doing exciting things with people I love.

A bit lofty, eh?

And that’s not even the half of it. The list goes on and on, describing dreams (both big and small) with deadline dates attached. But so what. That’s what this long “New Year, New Me” list is all about: practical goals and lofty ones too.

Happy New Year!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

SMART goals are more likely to be achieved...
Specific
Measurable
Attainable
Realistic
Time Specific

I used to teach this to youngsters =)
Go get 'em Mel!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...